Tuesday 12 January 2010

The Bard and the Yes Country

I had to work my brain very hard tonight, trying to fathom what on earth I had said 'yes' to today. That's what university does to you - leaves your brain incapable of remembering things which aren't related to work. When I finally remembered, I realised it was study related anyway: I answered in the affirmative when invited along to watch the upcoming Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) production of King Lear in Stratford-upon-Avon. How could I not? King Lear is my joint second favourite Shakespeare play, second only to Hamlet. -Yes, I am sad enough to rank Shakespeare plays.- So, even whilst it is study related, it's a not a bad kind of study related, it's bloody marvellous! I think I should calm down - I can get very excited when Shakespeare is involved. My only reservations about this production is that I'm not a great fan of the guy playing the lead, and considering he's on stage for a lot the play it could be an issue. But, with all my positive thinking, I will put my reservations aside.

The play itself is not a very 'yes' kind of play, especially considering one of the most famous lines is: 'Nothing will come of nothing'. It is a tragedy, so it's what you'd expect really. Along with Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet it is one of his most heartrending plays, it's virtually impossible (unless it's a disastrous production) to not feel sad and on the verge of tears by the end. Despite all this, though, the actual experience of going to the theatre and watching a good production (of any play, ballet, even musical) must be considered a 'yes' experience. In my book, it's one of the best experiences in the world.

Just yesterday I was asked if I would like to go to Spain during the summer. I don't think I need to state what my answer was to that. It got me thinking about different countries, specifically countries which give off positive vibes (on the whole). Now, I haven't been outside of Europe, so I'm not the best judge, but of the countries I have visited (and live in - Britain) Spain definitely gains the title of 'the Yes Country'. There always seems to be so much energy and life. I love that the cities come alive at night with all sorts of people (not just drunken youths - not that I want to stereotype too much). I love the dance, I love the language, I love the scenery! All those positive vibes. And what I find truly remarkable is that this energy is present despite the dark past which lies beneath and occasionally rears its head. Truly a wonderful country. It makes me want to smile.

If Spain is my 'Yes Country', what would be yours?

Much love
xxx

1 comment:

  1. OK I love King Lear, definitely my favorite Shakespearean play.

    My Yes Country is Italy.

    Stopping by from SITs.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete