Sunday 24 January 2010

The Gothic, Shakespeare, Batman, and Spooks (can you spot the connection?)

To say 'yes' to a lecture may seem a strange thing to many people. Why go to yet another lecture when you've already got compulsory ones to go to? Well, I did. Technically it was a compulsory lecture, but it's one of those ones that's not exactly essential to the course your studying, it's just an added extra, to do with 'careers'...what you can do with your degree after university. Hmmm. Very few people tend to go. In fact, I'm one of the few who does usually go. But this week, it wasn't on an area that I'm interested in. So, I had decided not to go. Until I said to myself (okay, so I didn't actually say this out loud) you're being a bit dismissive of this, thinking in a negative way. Just because this lecture is on the gothic (the one area of literature which I'm not really that interested in) doesn't mean that there won't be something interesting in it. I went along. It wasn't what I'd expected at all, it happened that it was very interesting. The lecture was focused on gothic in popular culture. I've never really been a big fan of contemporary popular culture - I'd rather be reading a classic novel, watching a Shakespeare play (or another play of some kind), watching a period drama (okay, so that sort of falls into pop culture), I'm not big on celebrity (especially those who seem to be celebrities for no apparent reason - that just bemuses me - those I do like are mostly stage actors and period drama actors). I'm sure by now (I can't half ramble) you've got my drift.

However, as I was listening to the lecturer speak and watching the powerpoint slides changing over, I began to think that maybe there is something I do find interesting about contemporary pop culture: the way it relates to, or is influenced by, literature/art/music/fashion of the past. Of the few contemporary pop culture things I have recently been or currently am interested in I questioned myself as to why those things really got hold of my attention. One is Christopher Nolan's Batman films, the other is the BBC ongoing series Spooks. In the first, the character of Batman screams Hamlet at me (the character - and in part the play). In the second, Spooks, there seems to be an array of possible connections, Shakespeare being just one, and possibly Byronic elements too. You're probably wondering what the hell I'm on about - and think it's right that you are. Out of all this drivel the point I'm trying to make is that from this lecture on gothic in contemporary pop culture, I discovered another different, unexpected interest of my own. If I ever decide to stay in academia this is another quite exciting area which might be interesting to explore. As I was watching Spooks Series 5 episode 1 (whilst I've been typing this) my ears pricked up at the very sound of 'Something's rotten...'. I LOVE IT! That's right I am entirely loopy. I think I have lost all sanity. But there you go: Shakespeare, Batman, Spooks... the world is my oyster. All from that little word (but very wonderful word) - yes!

Much love for now
xxx

(Image taken from flowtv.org/.../uploads/2009/03/spooks002.png)

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing what you find when you use that 3-letter word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for visiting today on my special SITS day. You mentioned the photos on my blog, I actually shot the three in my banner in Africa.

    ReplyDelete