Wednesday 6 January 2010

The First 'Yes' Moments of 2010

New Year's Day: I find it worrying that I can barely remember what I actually did on this day - it wasn't even a week ago. Clearly I did nothing which was significant to write on here.

Saturday: Now, this day had an awesome 'yes' moment. Seeing as I've been writing uni essays for more or less the entire holiday I agreed - with a little reserve at first - to go and watch Cinderella (non-panto version) at Warwick Arts Centre with my parents. It was brilliant! Totally different from seeing a panto or watching Disney - no fairy godmother or Buttons - but both funny and dark. I wasn't expecting toes to be cut off and eyes pulled out, but there you go! Absolutely worthwhile.

Sunday and Monday: When I checked my e-mail on Sunday morning I had received a message from a penfriend (yes I still write letters!) in Brazil who has been on a European tour asking me if I could meet her and her friends and family in London this week. I debated, and then realised I should just say 'yes', which I did. So, Monday, I was off down to London for part of the day. It was both a lovely and slightly bizarre experience. London, I admit, scares the hell out of me. In fact, any big city does (hence why I went to a small city for university, and also why I love Granada so much). It worked out okay, though. Meeting was fine. We took a look in The National Gallery and then headed off to Westminster. Both of those parts of London are beautiful - cold but beautiful with the icy weather. The main difficulty was that my penfriend kept asking me where places were in London and where they might find places to eat nearby - to be honest I had no idea. My knowledge of London is extremely lacking, and my sense of direction is terrible too. So, as you might have guessed I was pretty useless. The other minor barrier was language. My penfriend spoke very good English which was great, but her family and friends (there were five altogether) did not speak much English, and I speak no Portugese at all. We got by fine for the most part though. Had it been Spanish, or even French, I could have made some attempt at communication - that's why learning languages is such a bloody good thing, then I can actually communicate with people. Anyway, overall, it was really nice to meet them all and nice to be in London too, if only briefly.

Tuesday: I had a very cool 'yes' moment yesterday: I drank some Moroccan mint tea! That might sound extremely sad, but it has two reasons for being bloody brilliant. Firstly, it was the experience of actually saying the word 'yes' when my Dad asked me if I wanted some, and secondly, the drink itself was amazing! I had initially said 'no' when Dad asked me, which I fairly speedily reversed when I realised what I'd done. He got out his little Moroccan tea pot-thing and gorgeous little glasses, made the tea, and then we sat and drank some. I then realised what an amazing drink it is - and I am convinced it is what I drank in Granada, which brought lots of lovely memories back.

I have not had any 'yes' moments so far today. Although I'm going out for a few drinks tonight which is a kind of 'yes' in my book :D

Much love
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment