Friday 22 January 2010

'Papers, Donations, and Volunteering

For the first time in a while I actually went out and bought a newspaper yesterday. Not that I don't keep up with news, I just tend to pick it up in bits and pieces. It was a bit of a positive thinking moment, a bit of let's-try-something-different moment. I should buy 'papers more often really; I like the feeling of turning the pages. There's something I find so satisfying in actually seeing words printed on paper as opposed to on-screen. Not that I don't like reading stuff on the computer, I wouldn't be a blogger if that was the case.

Several pages of the paper were given over to the situation in Haiti. When such events occur it really makes you stop and think about things, all the different things which go on out there in the wider world. I admit that I find news scary sometimes - especially when there are articles about war and natural disasters spread across the front page, or the first headline on television (which often seems to be the case sadly). As I flicked through the paper, I stumbled across an advert for donations. I didn't hesitate. I gave a small amount of money which I hope will contribute in some way.

Later in the day I signed up for (or, in my own phraseology, said 'yes' to) two volunteer dates for a project I'm part of. I have no idea how it will turn out. It consists of taking creative activities into primary schools to get children active and using their creativity and imagination, as well as (hopefully) learning something. It seems a really fun opportunity and I hope I'll gain something from it. And I hope the children do too! There's nothing like seeing them laughing and having big smiles on their faces. I love it!

Much love for now
xxx

6 comments:

  1. This whole thing in Haiti is just awful! I gave a small donation...every little bit helps!

    Thanks for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from SITS to wish you a happy SITS sharefest!! Hope you're having an amazing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popped over from SITS to say hello. I love your mentality of yes. Yes brings much more into your life. Good for you. Enjoy your volunteer venture too. I'm a volunteer and I love it. Being a part of something I support has given back to me more than I can ever put in. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from SITS ... love your philosophy and the volunteer project idea... I was involved in something similar when we lived in Pennsylvania ... an after school program that taught kids to be active creatively and introduced them to nutrition and creative foods :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your volunteer projects sound just fabulous. I'm all for anything that's geared toward helping kiddos!

    ReplyDelete