Tuesday 5 January 2010

WELCOME...

...to my 'Diary of a "Yes" Girl'... In no way do I profess this to be an original idea. Reading 'Yes Man' by Danny Wallace, a Christmas present from my older brother, has driven me to do this - I mean start a 'yes' diary. (I am an avid reader of the classics, so reading 'Yes Man' is somewhat of a departure for me). It probably sounds crazy, which it is, really. But it's a good kind of crazy, a positive kind of crazy - the kind of crazy that I need.

I have a habit of saying 'no' to things - not to everything, but often to the little things which probably matter a lot - like going out for a quick drink as a break from work, or trying a new kind of food, or even drinking tea. Yes, tea. I don't drink it. But that's only because I've always said 'no, I don't drink tea' when people ask me if I'd like a cup, not because I don't like it. I have no idea whether or not I like it. I haven't drunk a cup in about ten years!

So, in this 'diary' (I almost typed dairy, which would provide an interesting spin on things) I intend to record the things I say 'yes' to, whether big or small, and my experience of those things. Now clearly, I am unable to say 'yes' to literally everything as I am in my final year of university and work is essential, but I will say 'yes' to what is reasonable and manageable, and, if possible, exciting. And I will especially say 'yes' to things for/in the summer months. One significant 'yes' experience I had last year, which I haven't really thought about as a 'yes' moment until now, was going to Granada, Spain, for two weeks to study Spanish. It turned out to be one of the best experiences I've ever had.

Please feel free to leave comments, ask questions, throw suggestions at me, share your own 'yes' moments/experiences, and tell me what you think about 'Yes Man'. If you haven't already read it, go out and buy it, or borrow it off someone you know. And then read it, of course!

I give you all permission here and now, that if I haven't written for several days, or even a couple of days, do leave a comment and badger me, or e-mail me, or facebook or text (for those of you who actually know me). If I don't have a valid reason, then I have let down my 'yes' diary, and myself, and even the world out there - a lot of things really.

2 comments:

  1. Jude I think this is a bloody brilliant idea! I might just have to take up saying 'yes' also.
    Iona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Join the bandwaggon, or should I say 'yes'waggon?!

    ReplyDelete